Wednesday 13 May 2015

Mental Health Awareness Week

I'm no stranger to physical health and fitness posts (:D), but because it is Mental Health Awareness Week (May 11-17) and because I have learnt a lot about it recently, I am dedicating this post to mental health.

Despite much progress in our modern age, many mental health disorders are misunderstood or discussed openly. OCD in particular is often referenced as a funny quirk or used as an adjective when the actual disorder is a serious mental health condition.

My recent experience of Anxiety and OCD affected me greatly. The OCD made my head feel like a constant battleground of doubt, whilst the Anxiety left me physically exhausted. I found myself staying at home as much as possible to avoid anything that might cause me to worry.

NHS Choices states that Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) is 'a common condition estimated to affect about 1 in every 25 people in the UK'. This type of anxiety is a constant feeling, not being able to control the worrying, that can affect day to day life. OCD UK states that Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 'is a serious anxiety-related condition...The illness affects as many as 12 in every 1000 people (1.2% of the population) from young children to adults, regardless of gender or social or cultural background'. OCD is a condition wherein a person experiences obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviour.

I have a moderate form of OCD that is based around doubt and checking. It also includes fear of making a mistake and fear of germs/contamination. It is an anxiety disorder, so my Anxiety is both a contribution to and a result of OCD.

Finding that a condition description matched my symptoms was a relief to me and put me on the path to getting the right treatment. The NHS helped me with each step of this. There are also charities dedicated to helping people with these specific conditions, which I have listed below. Personally, I have responded well to my medication (SSRIs) and therapy (CBT) and my day to day life is getting back on track.

When it comes to mental health problems, thoughts and feelings, it can be hard to describe them to anyone or even be sure if they are an actual problem. However, if you suspect something is wrong yourself, your friends have noticed your behaviour or someone has encouraged you to see a doctor or professional, then don't be afraid to express yourself. I kept trying not to cry when telling the doctor that I believed I had OCD and I cried afterwards, but after a few months of effective treatment, I am so happy that I did. 


Links and references:

Mental Health Awareness Week 

NHS Choices

Mind 

OCD UK

OCD Action

Anxiety UK

No comments:

Post a Comment