Tuesday 25 February 2014

'But how do you get your protein?'

Every vegan hates the question "But HOW do you get your protein????" Because protein is somehow only associated with meat... when it's actually everywhere! Meat eaters can get enough protein without even touching meat. (So please don't ask...)

Just some vegan sources of protein include:
* soya milk, nut butter, nuts, tofu,
* lentils, beans, green veg, quinoa.
(Quinoa is amazing and gets its own pic.)


But, looking into nutrition more, I didn't realize quite how much I needed a day, every day, or that eating it throughout the day is better too.

Protein isn't stored, so it can only be used if it's there by eating it that day. What's more, protein should actually make up 1/3 of your daily calories. As I work out and use my muscles lots, less than this daily won't be the optimum to help my muscles repair themselves (protein is made up of amino acids which repair cells, build and maintain muscles). Fitness-wise I'm on a bit of a muscle-mission anyway (to build, not to bulk) so protein focus here we come...


No comments:

Post a Comment