Friday 28 February 2014

Smoothie section

I love the idea of smoothies, a quick and yummy way to get many vitamins and minerals in your system whilst hydrating, easy-to-make and easy to digest. I used to make a lot of fruit smoothies until I realised the high sugar content and nutritional unbalance of even the most natural fruit smoothies. (They are still good as an occasional refreshing treat and whole fruit versions retain more of their nutritional value than those with juices.)

Mixed berries and banana
 
However, welcome the rise of the 'superfood' smoothie, mixes of vegetables, protein, good fats AND fruit. There is so much inspiration around too- just have a look at instagram – hashtag smoothie! My favourites are The Blonde Vegan and Deliciously Ella. I'm still starting out with these variations but here are some I've made so far:

Chocolate protein and flaxseed

Kale and blueberry






































These are great post-gym, for lunch, or are popular for and make a good breakfast. The 'smoothie bowl' is a fairly recent and lovely thing too with different toppings. Smoothies also help me digest and feel better when I'm bloated. 

Handy vegan smoothie ingredients to have:
  • Nut milk (I prefer almond milk but other nut, rice and coconut can work)
  • Bananas (smoothie staple in my opinion!)
  • Frozen or fresh berries (blueberries are my fave but all good)
  • Spinach/Kale/Apples/Celery for 'green' smoothies
  • Nut butter (only 'clean' versions)
  • Protein powder (vegan varieties)
  • Water or ice.
 But these are just a few!


1. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/sep/07/smoothies-fruit-juices-new-health-risk 
2. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/beware-the-smoothie-full-of-fruit--but-they-may-be-bad-for-you-406370.html 

3. www.theblondevegan.com
4. www.deliciouslyella.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment